Wednesday, January 13, 2016

HOW TO KEEP YOUR STOMACH IN CHECK!

People always ask me "How do you get away from eating on the run?".  

The simple answer is planning ahead but life doesn't always make it that easy to do. 


If you're anything like me you have a million things to do in a day and you're out there running around and before you know it you are way past lunchtime and you're starving. 


Here are 5 tips to help you to avoid the easy way out of grabbing fast food. 


1) When you're out and about and your stomach is yelling at you, it's pretty natural to do whatever it takes to shut your stomach up and unfortunately that usually means a "drive through".  This is because when you are hungry you typically don't have the energy to make healthy choice.  Set yourself up in advance for success when hunger strikes. Always have a snack with you.  Easier said than done right!  The best way to accomplish this is to plan for the week.  This can be super simple and only take 5 minutes on a Sunday night or any night for that matter.  Simple snacks that are healthy can be found right HERE in a previous blog post.


2) Stash snacks everywhere.  I know I always have a few protein/fruit bars in my glove box so when I need it they are there.  The secret to that is of course replenishing the stock as you burn through it and to make sure they are bars that can stand a little heat.  For the glove box I say away from ones that are covered in chocolate. 

3) Little ziplock snack size baggies are perfect for portion control.  You can get more than enough nuts, dried fruit and a little dark chocolate in the baggies to satisfy your hunger cravings. I also like to stick cut of veggies, fruit slices, pretzels etc....

4) Did you know that often, when you’re feeling super hungry, you’re actually only thirsty? One of the first signs of dehydration is hunger, so before you indulge in a snack, or eat a meal, take the edge off by drinking a cool glass of water, about 8 ounces. You’ll feel refreshed, perky, and not quite as starving.



5) Steer clear of restaurants you're likely to walk into. We all have our weaknesses, and it likely won't take long to find out what yours are. I love to grab a piece of tasty tasty New York style pizza at this little spot near my house.  My secret is I drive down one street parallel to the pizza place.  That way it's out of sight and hopefully out of mind.  By identifying your triggers, you can get a better sense of what you need to avoid as a way to make healthy choices. It might be hard to implement the changes at first, but in time you'll be glad you avoided the temptations.












Tyler Farstad

support@tylerfarstad.com

PS An easy snack I take with me all the time is a protein drink.  To see which one I like the best CLICK HERE







No comments:

Post a Comment